About NYT Puzzle Dating

Because the New York Times (NYT) daily crossword is published in syndication six weeks after it appears in the NYT paper and on the NYT Web site, I am using a two-date title on NYT puzzles. The format is {syndicate_date} "NYT syndicated crossword ("{NYT publishing date} "; Puzzle No. " nnnn")". So, for example, if you got a NYT puzzle out of the Orange County Register on Thursday 07/17/08 it was actually published Thursday 06/05/08 and has a puzzle number of 0605. WARNING: the schedule has changed to five weeks (summer 2008). I don't know how long this will stay the same.

Friday, August 29, 2008

MGWCC #012 -- Friday, August 22, 2008 -- "Another Nine-Letter Word for a Stupid Waste of Time"

Matt Gaffney's twelfth weekly crossword contest puzzle was the easiest to solve of any of them but in order to participate in the actual contest part of it one had to create a limerick. The had to make reference to an article written by Ron Rosenbaum which was published in Slate. It was called "Crossword, Sudoku Plague Threatens America! with a subtitle of "The puzzle of puzzle people." After reading it I decided the author must be a prat. He calls puzzle solving a "useless habit" and suggests that their "uselessly filling empty boxes" is a metaphor for emptyness in their lives, and tells us that we could be doing something else involving words and letters--reading. Well, I tell you what, Ron--I read all the time, and everyone I know who is good at doing crosswords does also.

Anyway, back to Matt's puzzle. (Okay, one more snipe. Read what Matt wrote on his blog here.) There was an interesting part in Rosenbaum's article where he pokes fun at a solver who has not filled in the answer to the clue [Mauna ___] by saying, "Whoa, tough one, dude." Of course the answer could be either LOA or KEA and one does not write either in until one has a verifying cross clue. In this weeks puzzle, Matt had KEA in the answer grid twice (that's unusual) and LOA once. All three had the same clue [Mauna ___]. I thought that was hilarious.

The puzzle taught me that I had not read the article carefully. 8A had the clue [Hillbilly ___ (crossword-solving, according to 22-across--] for the answer HEROIN. 22A is, of course, RONROSENBAUM.

One clue which had me stumped for a while was 49A: [The real crime of 22-across's piece] ITWASNTFUNNY. But I only needed a few letters to figure it out after I corrected my mistake on 35D [Heart tube] which I had filled in as aorta but which turned out to be STENT.

There were a few typical misdirecting or vague MG-typical clues just to spice things up a bit:
  • 19A One of four: SEASONS ("one of four what?" was my first response)
  • 38A Kay follower: ELL
  • 42A Compass dir.: ENE
  • 1D Sent down: KOD
  • 4D Rhyming word in a soft drink brand: Yello (I think this is Mello Yello--a caffeinated, citrus-flavored soft drink from Coca Cola.)
  • 6D Brunch's less well-known cousin: LINNER
  • 8D Laughter syllables: HOS (really?) Here's another possibility: employees, to a pimp.
  • 50D X: TIMES

Oy, that last one killed me. But the one which had me going the most was "brunch's less well-known cousin". I thought LINNER right away, but I then thought, "no, that can't be it!" because I thought my sister and I had made that up years ago and know one would know it (I've never heard of it being used until this puzzle). That's going in my clues file.

So now, the puzzle done, I ended up writing several limericks but will only show the two I liked best here. This is one:

The author who comes from Bay Shore
Disdained puzzlers with words we abhor

He penned with his nib
Tripe that sounded so glib

That we likely will read him no more

I found out he is from Bay Shore, Long Island in his online bio. Kind of hard to fit Rosenbaum in a limerick with the correct meter. I also found out he is an older guy, so that is used in the next limerick:

There once was a man of late years
Who wrote of the "Starbucks of Tears"

With prose he distorts
As he disses Will Shortz

With his head firmly stuck up his rear

Unfortunately, neither of these won. But I did have fun writing them--and learning about them. My first try looked good to me, but when I shared it with a friend who writes limericks he said, "the meter is wrong," and I had to toss this one. Here it is:

A columnist who regards crosswords with fear
Wrote in Slate of the "Starbucks of Tears"


Rosenbaum dissed Will Shortz
And puzzle solvers--of course!


Causing cruciverbalists to jeer ala Lear.

By the way, this "Starbucks of Tears" thing is a Rosenbaum-coined term. Apparently where he was observing people doing these crosswords and sudoku puzzles there were a lot of sad-looking people in there. His presumption--probably correct--is that they were out from visiting a nearby hospital and were depressed. What was he doing in there?

No comments: